Monday 26 October 2015

ESPKU conference extras! An interview with the President of ESPKU!

Eric Lange is the President of the ESPKU society and while waiting in the airport for our plane back to London, I was able to ask a few questions! 

Do you or your children have PKU?

My daughter who is 30, has classic PKU.

What was the reason for joining ESPKU?

I joined the UK's NSPKU in 2009 and went to ESPKU conference. It was amazing to meet people from other counties with different perspectives, NSPKU is the oldest association 43 years.
Mainly my interest is in executive functioning, so this really excited me.

Have you ever tried the PKU diet/drinks/food for yourself?
If so, what did you think?

I haven't tried the diet but I've tried all the mixtures except the newer ones. 
I thought I'm glad I don't have to drink them regularly! 

How do you feel the conference went?

Excellent! I wouldn't expect anything less from the ESPKU.

What are you most excited for when you organise these events?

I'm excited for the new speakers and to see how the country reps have done in the last 6 months or a year. It's interesting to see the reps spark off each other in discussions. I thought the video of the undiagnosed is good for the scientists to see, to see that this is the reason we are all here. It's amazing to have the range of speakers and great to have the American PKU's. 

What were you nervous about?

I was nervous about the opening speech, you've got to show everyone you're human!

What do you hope the PKU's got out of the conference this weekend?

They can learn from other PKUs from other countries how they monitor their intake of Phe and that they can learn recipes - although that should be a given! That they can swap ideas what they can do in their own county meetings. I also hope they can create life long lasting friendships. 
I also hope they learn more about the history of PKU! 

What do you hope the parents of the PKUs get out of the conference?

Knowledge and empowerment!
Supporting them with advocating PKU in their local area.


Are you excited or wary about the new potential treatments for PKU?

I'm always excited and I'm always wary!

What words of encouragement would you give a parent with PKU or a person with PKU themselves?

"Don't worry, be happy!"




No comments:

Post a Comment