Friday 23 October 2015

ESPKU conference, Day 2 - Part 4

There was quite a few talks from PKUs who had travelled all around the world and it was fascinating to hear their stories of what they struggled with and what they found easy. It's really great to hear stories like this, because it encourages me that just because I have a restrictive diet, it doesn't mean it limits me in what I can do with my life and where I can go, the world is a lot more accepting and understanding place and I am lucky that w have so many good products around the world that are easy to travel with and buy when I get to those countries. 

Today is now finished but it's been so insightful into the struggles the first diagnoses and how far PKU has come in all those years. Going around the stalls its exciting to see all the new products out there and that people are making from across the world, from biscuits to puddings to pasta! 
Of course it is just so nice to be around people that are of similar mind, that have faced the same struggles as you and have had the same experiences. PKU can be a very lonely diet if you aren't in contact with anyone, so you always feel like you are different and 'weird' compared to everyone else. To sit and talk with people who have the drinks, who eat the food really makes you feel, even if for only a small time, like you are normal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment