Thursday 22 October 2015

ESPKU Conference, Berlin, Germany. Day 1 - Part 1

I was contacted in July by Nutrica about the possibility of coming to the ESPKU conference in Berlin, all expenses paid!
I had previously written an article for their website piece on "How do you PKU?" I wrote my article about fitting a PKU diet around a working life in the office.
Of course, as soon as I had read the email I knew I wanted to go! For me, this is a great chance to go to another county, learn a new culture and go to a conference for specifically for and about PKUs, an international conference at that!
There is an annual conference for people in the UK, but living down in the South East of England, they are usually too far away for me to travel, so I do feel I have really been out of the loop of what's been going on in the PKU world.
So here I am, sitting on a plane to Berlin! I feel very excited.
I'm really looking forward to learning if there is any new updates in technology or the study of PKU in people (I dare not say the word "cure"!)
I am definitely looking forward to the food! Most hotels I find have really loved the challenge of having to cater to a new diet and having to use different products and methods. The food I've had previously has been shocking how delicious and "normal" it looks. When I've gone with my mother she usually prefers the PKU options over the normal high protein selection!
Ironically, the only complementary snacks available on this flight were a Danish pastry or a ham and cheese roll! Even though I'm hungry, I realise I'm probably surrounded by people who are all going to the same conference so all know what PKU is! I had better behave myself!
One thing is for certain, I have a very exciting weekend to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment